Slide Night #3 – Overnight Touring for the Uninitiated
By Huw |
An overnight trip requires much of the same planning, preparation and logistics as much longer multi day tours, sometimes even more. We plan to run through the basics of what to bring, where to go as well as hear from a few people who recently plunged into their first bicycle tour.
Other topics covered will be:
- What kind of bike to take? MTB, touring bike, road bike, fat bike, unicycle, penny farthing, hobby horse?
- How to plan where to go? Maps, apps and websites.
- Types of tours!
- Getting fit for touring.
- How to carry your gear. Trailers vs panniers, lightweight ‘bikepacking’ set ups.
- Where to stay? Camping, BNB, hotels, Warmshowers.com, mountain huts, couch surfing. Under a log.
- How far can I go in a day?
Where and when
- 7pm Wednesday 2nd March
- Commuter Cycles, 14 Prentice St, Brunswick VIC 3056
We’re following up the slide night with a ‘Commuter Campout’ – a guided overnight trip on the long weekend in March. The trip will just be for Saturday and Sunday (12th & 13th) so you’ll have Monday to get ready for the week ahead. Places will be limited to 20 people. Sign-up will be on the night of the presentation.