The ultimate cyclocross tire is also a great choice for mixed-surface rides. Named after an iconic ‘cross course at the foot of the Cascade Mountains, the Steilacoom uses our revolutionary dual-purpose knobby tread. The tire is always supported by the same amount of rubber, whether it’s rolling forward or leaning into a turn. This gives you uniform grip at all times – whether on a muddy cyclocross course or during a paved descent with ultra-fast hairpin turns. The result is a true dual-purpose knobby that excels in mud and snow, yet on pavement, it’s faster than most road tires.
The Standard casing is our more affordable option: comfortable and fast, yet also strong to withstand considerable abuse. The Extralight casing takes the performance, comfort and feel of your bike to an entirely new level. The Endurance casing is reinforced for extra sidewall protection and puncture resistance, while retaining the speed and comfort for which Rene Herse tires are famous.
The Steilacoom is tubeless-compatible. If running tubeless we recommend using Orange Seal sealant with these tyres. Check out Rene Herse's guide to setting up tubeless tyres here.
Rene Herse tires combine the performance of high-end tubular tires with the convenience of clincher. The supple casings roll smoothly over surface irregularities. The knobs are large enough so they don’t squirm, yet they are spaced far enough to clear mud. All models feature:
- Clincher, folding bead
- Maximum pressure with tubes: 75 psi (5.2 bar)
- Maximum recommended pressure – tubeless: 60 psi (4 bar)
- Actual width on 20 mm rim (internal): approx. 36 mm
- Actual width on 23 mm rim (internal): approx. 38 mm
- Extralight casing: +0.5 mm width
- Tubeless: +0.5 mm width
- Recommended rim: 17 – 29 mm (inner width; hookless: +1 mm)
- Supple casing
- Tan sidewalls
- 435 g
- Ultra-light, ultra-supple casing
- The ultimate in speed and comfort
- Black or tan sidewalls
- 388 g
- The same ultra-fine threads as our Extralight casing, but in a denser, stronger weave
- Protective belt under sidewalls and tread
- Ideal for rough gravel and tough conditions
- Dark tan sidewalls
- 435 g