A HARD-BOILED, STRAIGHTFORWARD STEEL BIKE BUILT FOR COMFORT, DURABILITY, & GENERAL BUFFOONERY ON MOSTLY PAVED SURFACES.
Think of Preamble as an introduction to Surly’s pavement line. A distilled Straggler if you will, it’s a tough yet practical steel utility bike designed with everything riders need — and nothing they don’t. Preamble comes in both drop-bar and flat-bar flavors. It’s disc-brake specific and ready to run racks and fenders, and we’ve also included mounts for two bottle cages. With five frame size offerings ranging from XS to XL, it’s optimized for comfort and fit. For commuters and riders looking to keep things simple with a serious steel bike, Preamble paves the way.
Built from our proprietary ‘Natch tubesets to be durable and soak up bumps on the road, Preamble offers pavement riders a comfortable and accessible portal for exploring life by bike. Truly an exercise in restraint, Preamble proves not every bike needs to do everything. It just needs to ride like a Surly.
- 100% Surly Chromoly Natch steel frame and fork; 1-1/8” steerer tube; 34mm headtube
- Custom-cast single-position vertical dropout, as seen on Bridge Club
- Frame geometry designed to play well with both flat or drop bars
- Fender and rack compatibility with mounts for two bottle cages on all frame sizes (located on seat tube and down tube)
- Tried-and-true QR axles front and rear for fast, tool-free wheel removal
- Compatible with 1x and 2x drivetrains
- Five easy-to-understand frame sizes to fit nearly every size of rider:
- XS, Small, Medium, Large, and XL which fits riders from 5’0” to 6’7”
- Slightly sloped top tube on XS and Small frames for improved standover and comfort
- Clearance for 650b x 41mm tires (XS–S) and 700c x 41mm tires (M–XL) (with or without fenders)
- microSHIFT Acolyte 1×8 group with a 12-42t range
- Kalloy handlebar with 35mm rise, 9-degree backsweep
- 650b x 1.35” Kenda Standard tires on sizes XS–S; 700c x 35mm Kenda Kwest tires on sizes M–XL